Forgiving isn’t excusing or forgetting; it is a decision that gives greater physical and psychological health to the forgiver. In this episode Dr. Enright provides profound insights into forgiveness including:
* How and why forgiveness benefits the forgiver
* Practical, proven steps on how to actually forgive
* How to forgive after being betrayed by unfaithfulness
* What five steps to take if you have been unfaithful
* What to do when the person you need to forgive is yourself
* How to forgive someone who has already died
* How to get over divorce anger
* The unexpected and beneficial effects of offering mercy to the offender
* How to prevent your own excessive anger from “living on” in your children and future generations
Dr. Enright is a professor of psychology at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and the pioneer of the scientific study of forgiveness. He is the author of seven books, including ”8 Keys to Forgiveness” and the children’s book “Rising Above the Storm Clouds: What it’s Like to Forgive.” He has been featured on ABC’s 20/20 and has been called the “Forgiveness Trailblazer” by Time Magazine. Dr. Enright has developed forgiveness education programs in twelve countries across the globe. Learn more about his work or support him at internationalforgiveness.com.
Please “give back” to this podcast by leaving us an awesome rating on iTunes! Here are the steps to take to do so from an iPhone:
1) Launch Apple’s purple Podcast app in your phone
2) Even if you already subscribe to / have Psychology America and it is open, tap “Search”
3) Enter “Psychology America with Dr. Alexandra”
4) Tap on the photo of the podcast
5) Scroll all the way down
6) Press the star rating you choose and/or tap the “write a review.” For the highest rating tap the last star on the right first.
Your review is appreciated!
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dralexandra)